Budget IPTV / OTT set-top box based on Android AOSP 7.1. For those who, in addition to cinemas, need Youtube, Netflix, Start, Megogo and dozens of other cinemas and video services. And also non-resource-demanding games and other android applications. All this is provided by GSL Skylark. In 4K UHD quality, on 5GHz Wifi. Ideal value for money.
- Support of video and TV channels up to a maximum resolution of 4K / Ultra HD.
- HDMI out v. 2.0b (HDMI standard with HDR support).
- Analog audio-video AV output with a 3.5 mm TRRS connector, allows you to connect old TVs with analog input through an adapter TRRS 3.5 mm – 3xRCA connector (“bells”, “tulips”). Moreover, if the old TV has a SCART input, it is possible to connect via an additional SCART – 3xRCA adapter.
- 100Base-T (Fast Ethernet) Ethernet input for connecting the set-top box to the Internet by connecting the set-top box with a router with a maximum speed of up to 100 Mbps. In case that the port of the router also supports the 100Base-T (Fast Ethernet) standard and the Ethernet cable is able to transmit data at the desired speed, the real speed in the home network will average 90-95 Mbit/s. Which is enough for broadcasting over a local network or from the Internet 4К video with a frequency of 60 fps. The transmission of which will require 50-80 Mbps with stream compressed by the H.264 codec. If this does not happen, check that the cable is of proper quality (twisted pair of category 3 (4 pairs of conductors) or 5 (2 pairs of conductors), no more than 100 meters long), that there is no other network activity in parallel with the broadcast (downloading files, broadcasting to other devices), etc.
- 2.4GHz wireless WiFi interface with IEEE 802.11 b/g/n support. The old IEEE 802.11n (WiFi 4) standard at 2.4 GHz theoretically supports a maximum speed of up to 150 Mbps. It would seem nice, but today there are WiFi routers in almost every apartment, and dozens of devices of members of the family living in the apartment connect to them: computers, IPTV / OTT STB, Smart TVs, smartphones, tablets, laptops, IP cameras, smart speakers, smart bulbs , smart sensors of all kinds, etc. And the frequency is only one and it has only 14 channels. Accordingly, in an apartment building all devices of the residents of their surrounding apartments compete for these channels. And in the evening rush hour, when most of the neighbors watch TV, the 2.4 GHz network bandwidth drops from 150 to 1 Mbit/s and lower. Making viewing even SD channels very uncomfortable. Therefore, it is currently not recommended to use this WiFi frequency in apartment buildings. Only in a private building, in the countryside.
- 5 GHz wireless WiFi interface with support for IEEE 802.11 b/g/n/ac. The new IEEE 802.11ac (WiFi 5) standard at 5 GHz theoretically supports a maximum speed of up to 433 Mbps. There are 38 channels on this frequency. Thus, this interface can play 4K video at 60fps. At least for now. Till not everyone has routers with 5GHz support.
- Bluetooth wireless interface standard BLE 4.1. This interface is designed to connect such additional devices as remote controls with voice control, gamepads, air mouse, keyboards, headphones, microphones, IP video cameras, etc. The most common usage scenarios: control of a set-top box hidden behind a TV or built-in furniture, voice control / search in applications supporting this mode, game control, and much more. Standard 4.1 provides data transfer rates of up to 24 Mbps in the frequency band 2.402 GHz – 2.48 GHz. It is important to note the supported collaboration mode of Bluetooth and fourth-generation LTE mobile communications. It provides protection against mutual interference by automatically coordinating the transmission of data packets.
- 2 x USB 2.0 inputs with a speed of up to 480 Mbps and with a current strength of 500 mA for connecting USB flash drives with personal photos, audio and video content, and other peripherals. Plug-in flash drives can also use for functions such as Time Shifted TV / Pause Live TV and Digital Video Recorder (DVR). Despite the impressive theoretically achievable speed, the actual data transfer speed from a USB 2.0 flash drive is always much lower. The vast majority of the products of this standard on the market comply only with USB 2.0 Full-speed specifications with a data transfer rate of 0.5-12 Mbit/s. Which may not be enough to transmit Full HD 1080p 60 fps video. Devices with USB 2.0 Hi-speed specification (25-480 Mbps) are quite rare and expensive. Therefore, in fact, a USB 2.0 input is an additional connector for connecting low-speed USB flash drives, as well as additional peripheral devices. Such as additional remotes with voice control, gamepads that do not support Bluetooth, manipulators such as “mouse”, keyboards, etc. Suitable for comfortable viewing videos with a resolution up to Full HD 1080p 30 fps. Higher resolution video can play poorly, with jerks and delays, especially in highly dynamic scenes, depending on the actual capabilities of the USB flash drive or disk.
This model allows you to use as a TV signal source:
- IPTV / OTT signal received from the DRE Advanced Media Platform (formerly Stingray Stream).
- M3U playlist.
- Popular IPTV platforms that have suitable applications for Android 7.1 adapted for IR remote control or Androis TV applications: IPTVPORTAL, Smotreshka, 24h TV, Ministra (Stalker), TIVP, IMAQLIQ, TVIPMEDIA and many others.
- Popular video services that have suitable applications for Android 7.1 adapted for IR remote control or Androis TV applications: YouTube, Netflix, Megogo, ivi and many others.
In order for the STB to work with the desired type of signal received from a particular operator, the must be used firmware appropriate to the signal and source. This point must be taken into account when ordering STB from the manufacturer or even more so when purchasing from a distributor. In addition, the manufacturer offers operators the service of “locking” STB, i.e. binding them to a specific IPTV / OTT source of a particular operator. Such STB can only be unlocked in the production of consoles in St. Petersburg or not, depending on the degree of protection against reflashing that the operator who ordered the locked STB chose.
Before buying a set-top box, it is advisable for the subscriber to find his own interactive television operator and make sure that he is ready to provide the M3U playlist, multicast stream with SAP support, or a user account from the platform or video service. Otherwise, the subscriber will be able to use only free playlists and content, taking into account their limitations: low bitrate streams, an abundance of advertising, not regular availability of services. After purchase it may be necessary to install IPTV / OTT platform and/or video services applications and assign one of them as their default TV application.
Detailed technical specifications of the IPTV / OTT set-top box GSL Skylark:
|CPU||Amologic S905L2 Quad-core 64 bits ARM®Cortex-A53@2GHz; 5-core ARM® Mali™-450|
|Maximum resolution||4096 x 2160 (4K) 60 fps|
|Operating system||Android AOSP 7.1|
|Available IPTV/OTT Sources||IPTV DRE Advanced Media Platform (formerly Stingray Stream), M3U playlists, IPTV/OTT platforms: IPTVPORTAL, Smotreshka, 24h TV, Ministra (Stalker), TIVP, IMAQLIQ, TVIPMEDIA and many others.|
|Ethernet||100Base-T (Fast Ethernet)|
|WiFi||Dual-frequency 2.4Gz/5GGz according to IEEE 802.11 b/g/n/ac standards|
|RAM/Flash||1G / 8G|
|USB||2x USB 2.0|
|HDMI||v. 2.0b, 4096 x 2160 (4K) 60 fps|
|AV||Jack 3,5 мм TRRS|
|External IR Connector||–|
|Memory card slot||–|
|Video decoding||HD MPEG1/2/4,H.265, HD AVC/VC-1,RM/RMVB,Xvid/DivX3/4/5/6 ,RealVideo8/9/10|
|Game console||Support for Android and Android TV applications from the app stores.|